A0876Z: Dungeness (3) (1792)
Robert Stevenson visited this lighthouse in 1818 whilst it was still privately owned. It had been rebuilt in 1792 by Samuel Wyatt and fitted with oil-burning reflecting apparatus. By the time of Stevenson's visit, the parabolic reflectors that had been purchased from Howard in Old Street london were missing much of their silvered layers but retained the polished copper underneath. Stevenson (1959, p293.
This photograph from ca 1890 shows the Wyatt tower (Dungeness 3) with its surrounding circular keepers quarters, and the new tower (Dungeness 4) under construction nearby. anon
Another photo from 1904 shows the newly completed fourth lighthouse alongside the third tower. anon